Welcome to day 3 of Party Starters' Birthday Bash and boy do I have a treat for you!
I asked Beth Beattie, a professional event planner in Florida, to share some party planning tips with us. Beth received a degree in public relations with a concentration in special events planning from the University of Florida. After graduation, she moved to New York City to be the Public Relation and Event Coordinator for Kate Edmonds Private and Corporate Events. There she worked closely with many industry publications and organized an appearance on NBC’s hit series “The Apprentice." She later returned for Florida and after a position at a local advertising agency, created spark pr & events in 2006 with her business partner, Rena Toppe.
This beautiful photo is a party created by Spark PR & Events...isn't it gorgeous!
Here are the tips that Beth had to share:
1. Create a vision – What is the theme? Do you see it formal or casual? Seated, buffet or light hors d’oeuvres? We always like to take a little time do some research, look at ideas online and get our creative juices flowing if a theme is involved. Two great blogs are www.hostessblog.com and www.thepartydress.net. Once you have a theme, incorporate it into the food, décor, activities and so on the best you can. We recently were working on a Candyland theme party and we had a concept for a kid’s activity for each part of the game (Gumdrop Mountain, Lollipop Woods, etc.) Kids love it and it adds to the décor and theme!
2. Make a list – We are list makers by nature…we make lists of décor ideas, supplies we need, menu, etc and we’re constantly revising it. It helps to have it in writing so you can check off things as you get them done and have a countdown for what is left to complete before the party. This also allows for you to plan ahead…when to order the cake or other supplies or decor in advance. We recently did a custom cookie order with Gumdrop Cookie Shop (www.gumdropcookieshop.com) but you have to plan ahead for production time and shipping…but well worth it! Also, when we make a list, we find ourselves not making multiple trips back to Michael’s and Target.
3. Don’t over commit - Guests want to enjoy the host and that isn’t happening if you are the cook, bartender and clean up crew. If possible, hire assistance or recruit a friend or two to pitch in.
4. Sends guests home with a memento - It's always nice to send guests home with a gift to remember the party. A favor or goodie bag that can be a dessert, koozie or other theme-fitting item. It’s also fun to use the favor as the placecard if you are having a sit down event…a candle, flower pot, cocktail glass, etc.
Great tips to follow when planning any event, big or small! Thanks Beth!!!
Next up... how about a PRIZE OR TWO!!!
This is such a great prize package from The Purple Pug. One lucky winner will receive the following:
Check out The Purple Pug, Kristy has all kinds of amazing homemade party ware. Check out her blog as well I always find lots of inspiration there.
SECOND FABULOUS PRIZE:
I am so excited about this prize, because I would love to have this myself!! One lucky winner will receive one Frosting Kit from Frost Me. What is a Frosting Kit??? Let me tell you, it is a custom inspiration board of at least 20 photos and sources. A fabulous way to start planning a party, a Frosting Kit will save you time and possibly some dough!
A big thank you to my party blogging girlfriends for offering up these fabulous prizes!!
Here are a few ways to enter your name. You have until tonight, July 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM MST to do so.
- Leave a comment here on Party Starters telling me which tip from Beth might help you the most.
- Follow my blog (already follow, leave a comment to let me know)
- Become a follower over at Spark PR & Events
- Become a follower over at The Purple Pug
- Become a follower over at Frost Me
- Become a fan OR "LIKE" the Party Starters Facebook Fan Page
- Follow Party Starters on Twitter
Don't forget to check out my Facebook Fan Page everyday this week as well. I have contests going on over there as well with fun Mystery Prizes!!
Thanks for stopping in today, see you tomorrow.